You had an accident and you do not know what to do? Did you know that in several states, it is illegal to be fired for experiencing a work accident? Many injured workers are afraid to report a work injury or accident for fear of losing their job. Therefore, it is important to speak to one of the best workers comp lawyers to answer your questions. However, below are some of the main concerns.
What is the Workers’ Compensation Law?
Workers’ compensation law is a system of rules in each state designed to pay for the expenses of employees who are injured while performing work-related tasks. Here is a summary of some types of workplace accidents that could qualify for workers’ compensation:
- Machinery accidents
- Repetitive work injuries
- Injuries from contact with toxic chemicals
- Injuries from working in a noisy environment
- Accident involving a commercial vehicle
- Falls and slips in your workplace
Are you entitled to worker’s compensation benefits?
You must have these two requirements to be entitled to benefits:
- You must be an employee of a company that has workers’ compensation insurance
- You must have been injured at work or as a result of work-related tasks
What benefits does workers’ compensation cover?
Workers’ compensation benefits can include:
- Salary replacement
- Medical treatment
- Vocational rehabilitation
Benefits are subject to approval. Failure to report the work accident can have consequences and subsequent health and financial problems.
What information should I give in the injury or accident report?
- Describe the specific date and time of your injury.
- Describe the specific location where the injury occurred, including the building, area, floor, etc.
- Describe the cause (s) of your injury, including any actions you took prior to the injury and what actions you were taking when the injury or accident occurred.
- If you have repetitive movements, describe when and how you started to feel the pain.
- Prepare a list of the names of your co-workers who were part of or witnesses to the injury or accident.
- Sign and date the official injury report and request a copy for your records.
How long will the claim investigation take?
Once the claim process begins, the insurer will do an investigation of the details of your accident. You will get a call from the claim specialist and your employer will get a call as well. This is to ask pertinent questions and help in providing answers as to documentation such as the accident report and medical record.
It is important that you cooperate with the insurer and the information they ask for. You should receive a written response that your claim was approved or denied within a few weeks. One of the reasons a claim may take time to be approved is because the insurer requests additional time within the deadline. Each situation is unique and the beginning of benefits depends on the accident and the investigation. Depending on the state, some benefits start immediately. Your attorney will advise you on the outcome and results of your case.